Why Should We Take Food Supplements?
August 23, 2018
In a time where everyone loves to eat, one would think that taking food supplements is no longer necessary. After all, who doesnâ€™t like to eat, am I right? But, how come food supplements are still a raging success in the market and people continue buying them? Thatâ€™s because food supplements deliver something that chewing and swallowing alone cannot provide. As we go through this article, we are going to find out what exactly food supplements are, who and why we continue taking them.
- What Are Food Supplements?
Food, dietary, or nutritional supplements – call it whatever you want, but these three are all cut out of the same fabric. They exist because they provide the nutrients we do not consume in sufficient quantities. To simply explain, we can call them a dietary top-up. Food supplements can come in different kinds. They can be fatty or amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and other nutritional substances. We can take them in different forms, too; liquid, capsules, tablets, or pills.
Food supplements are made available in varying doses and likely in different combinations. It is important to remember, though, that anything in excess is dangerous – the same thing goes with food supplements. They possess higher amounts of nutrients than what we find in food. It does not matter how nutritious or â€śwell-meaningâ€ť they are, but if you take them in high doses, they may cause adverse effects to the body.
- Who Should Take Food Supplements?
Before we go any further, I must make an emphasis: Supplements cannot and will never replace a healthy and balanced diet. A healthy diet should include a hefty amount of vegetables, fruits, protein, healthy fats, and whole grains. All these should be able to supply all the nutrients our bodies need to sustain good health.
In a perfect world, we would all be eating these. But, because of our fast-paced lifestyle, we have developed a certain dependence on fast food, microwavable and instant-cooking meals. All these have little to no nutrients at all. They are even loaded with sodium and preservatives. That is why food supplements are here to stay.
Food supplements serve different purposes. Take as an example, women who are of childbearing age and are sexually active should consume folic acid in order to prevent any birth defect from affecting the potential offspring. Some people have weak bones and could not drink milk or other sources of calcium, so supplementing with it will be beneficial. Anyone who wants to improve their health can and should take food supplements provided that they seek their physicianâ€™s advice first.
- Why Should We Take Food Supplements?
- The food we eat today is not as wholesome and simple as it used to be. With preservatives, and other taste-giving ingredients that are not healthy. Even the way food is prepared today can also contribute to the reduction of nutritional value. Food supplements fill out those nutritional gaps that food may lack.
- Have you ever seen a fruit or vegetable that looks so perfect it may just as well be a drawing come to life? Thatâ€™s because they are bred genetically in order to make them look nice and it also speeds up production. Itâ€™s like food plastic surgery. However, this â€śsurgeryâ€ť lessens the nutritional values of the food supply.
- Always on the go that you have barely enough time to chew your food well? Are you always stressed? These things can impact your ability to digest food, thus affecting your ability to absorb the nutrients that you should be extracting from it. Thatâ€™s why, when you eat, make sure that you eat well. No, I donâ€™t mean to eat a lot, but to chew your food well.
- When food items are shipped or stored for a long time, depletion in the amount of vitamins like B-complex and C and nutrients of the food may follow. Even the way vegetables or fruits are harvested can degrade the nutrient value of the food we eat. Thatâ€™s why eating fresh food is also important.
- There are certain situations in life where we need a higher amount of a certain nutrient. Take as an example, pregnancy. Women need a high amount of folic acid to keep the baby healthy.
- Air, water, and food pollution cause our bodies to rely on nutrients more than it usually it does in order to cleanse and get rid of harmful substances in our bodies. Vitamins A, C, and E are the best kinds of antioxidants to do this job.
- If you exercise or train regularly, this automatically increases your nutrient requirement. Active people use more oxygen and energy that will prompt the necessity to consume more nutrients.
- As we age, our ability to absorb nutrients also decline. In the same way, children need food supplements in order to make sure that their bone and tissue formation are completed optimally.
- Everyone has a genetic weakness, one way or another. This calls for a higher nutrient requirement in order to make up for the nutritional deficiency carried by the genetic weakness.
- Numerous studies have shown and proved that food supplements help prevent or address various health conditions like cancer, high cholesterols, arthritis, and birth defects.
Food supplements continue to thrive in the market because there is a need for them and they do our health and bodies good. If you are looking to start your own brand of food supplements, you are more than welcome to contact us. Feel free to reach out should you have any questions here.
This entry was posted in General News. Bookmark the permalink.